The following is a scrap and thread I chased in thinking about the topic of ultimate beginnings and the larger ecclesiastical discussion on the topic of Creation in Genesis 1.
Theistic Evolution vs. 6 Day Creation
1. Either both of these position are wrong or one is right.
2. Are both equally binding on the saint as revealed truth?
No. See line 1.
3. Both could be wrong but that would lead to either:
A. As the believing community we have not been guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.
B. Science is wrong.
4. I do not accept either A or B as true.
5. Which is more certain and therefore more authoritative?
A. "6 Days" maintains that "day" means literal 24 hour day thus leaning on Scripture exclusively.
B. TE accepts the observation of ~13.6 billion years + Scripture = God superintended evolution.
6. Why is B more reliable, certain and authoritative than A?
Because B incorporates what we observe.
7. Does what we observe strengthen our position?
It does to a point.
8. Is what we observe absolutely true?
No. It is only a collection of experiences and rational conclusions that fit the current set of accepted facts.
9. Therefore TE as a system must be somewhat false (intrinsically) because of the aggregates of human experience and rationality.
10. How false? To what degree?
Let us assume "only a little."
See Theistic Evolution (TE) and Six Literal 24 hour Sequential Days (Part II) for the conclusion.